Monday, April 27, 2015

Getting in touch with Tjong A Fie Mansion


Because men really respect only that which was founded of old and has developed slowly, he who wants to live on after his death must take care not only of his posterity but even more of his past. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last Saturday, my friends and I decided to visit Tjong A Fie Mansion - the former residence of a wealthy and famous merchant with Chinese-European deco style. I had always wondered what the house was all about. As a Medanese, I had to visit, and I could not believe I waited that long to step inside the house.

You see, people say that there are not many things to see in Medan. I beg to differ. Every corner in Tjong A Fie's house tells a story. I immersed myself in the art and decoration in the house. There are many things to peruse for art lovers. Frankly speaking, it is not a grand museum anyone will expect, but this house is an intimate space devoted to Tjong A Fie's third wife. The rooms give a mix of traditional and modern style, and are artistically designed and decorated. Look inside and eye the ceiling and stunning chandeliers will greet you.

Some rooms are also decorated with photographs highlighting the old Medan, especially Jalan Kesawan, and also the life of Tjong A Fie himself. He was said to be a poor man before, but he became a very wealthy businessman and philanthropist.



   












For those who enjoy a quaint decoration of the past, this is definitely a must-visit place. The mansion weaves together a family life in the past with artistic touch in the decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment