Sunday, December 13, 2009

Things I am good at

Sitting down watching Julie and Julia, um...very great movie indeed, especially cos I really like the act of Meryl Streep, I am thinking of what I am really good at. Julie and Julia in that movie are people that are superb at cooking, especially French cuisine. Julie, in particular, is a woman getting bored with her usual job, and she is turning 30, and then she decides to take cooking based on Julia's cooking book as her short term goal.
It dawned on me then, on how I am looking at myself and I know I am not good at everything. I always think of myself of more like a verbal person, u know, relying on my right brain more, and therefore, all the side-effects of the right brain attitude are in me, like lousiness, lateness, and many more. However, I also find myself as a very logical girl and somewhat very categorical, which these are obviously the left brain characteristics. Hmmm... Let's see:

1. Communication Ability
Since high school, I think I manage my study well, I exceed my friends in English study, well, I live in a country which treats English as a foreign language, so, this so called English mastery of mine can lay a good basic for any future career progress. Mom has forced me to study English even before I entered my general schools. But is this something I am really good at? Maybe I can be English teacher in here, my city, Medan, but relatively compared to others in ESL countries, like India, Philippines, Malaysia, and Singapore, I am still nothing. (sigh)
Then, even when I am a debater in my country and I have done well in some competitions, still this is an average level of skill. :(

2. Cooking
Well...I don't cook, I eat. I can hardly slice onions, u know what, I would rather crush it than slice it... Gotta learn more. Mom said, I would be a stupid housewife.

3. Ballet
Well, believe it or not, Mom put me in a ballet class when I was small, but if u see me right now, U will laugh and think "Gee, Cath is ballerina!Huahahahaha!" :( Yeah, right, i am not so agile to even do ballet now, I quit.

4. Piano Lesson
Almost had my small concert, but I was afraid with my teacher before, then I quit.

5. Drawing
I also quit in the middle of lesson. It isn't my real hobby, and I feel pressed to draw which is then I told my mom I wanna quit. TT

So, now u see, why I said I am really good at nothing... I actually wanna be a writer, writer for short stories, novels, or a poet. But I still get a long way to go.

6 comments:

  1. cath u really rock in ur way to success and i admire ur attitude.May god bless u in years to come..

    ReplyDelete
  2. u r a glowing and exhilarating writer and thz blog is felt as a brand new, pivotal, cheerful and shimmering migration...congratulation cath!
    p.s: make slice onion as another 2010 resolution of urs, ur mom is rite..c'mon,its easy to do!
    i ve blog but not ready to b adjudicated..(sigh)hehee rido

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rido: Why not show ur blog to me? Hehe, yea, I should slice more onions...^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes people see that their baseline is in you and your acomplishments...things we havent achieved yet..
    You are GOOD AT inspiring and impressing us by ur workmanship,existance,encouragement that you even might not realize....
    cath hope you wont get bored with my comments ya..sumtimes i am afraid that u will..
    good nite.. rd

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes people see that their baseline is in you and your acomplishments...things we havent achieved yet..
    You are GOOD AT inspiring and impressing us by ur workmanship,existance,encouragement that you even might not realize....
    cath hope you wont get bored with my comments ya..sumtimes i am afraid that u will..
    good nite.. rd

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rido: Don't say like that. I never get bored, never will with ur comments. U r one sincere-hearted guy. I like to be ur friend. Thanks to come to my blog every now and then, though I haven't posted much yet. U know, we all fail, I fail too, but thanks to only focus on what we have achieved rather than what we have failed. U r a real encouragement urself, dear.

    ReplyDelete