I rarely watch Indonesian movies, not because I have preference for foreign movies, definitely not, I appreciate movies with good storyline, act, but somehow Indonesian movies aren't that appealing, especially how Horror and comedies bombarded our film industry here, and most of the comedies aren't really good comedies, rather silly and weird and irrelevant. I remember watching "Tarzan masuk ke Kota (Tarzan enters city)", I couldn't stop yawning and looking at the time thinking when it would end. For the sake of complete content, I stuck it out. As Horror movies aren't actually my favourite genre, hence even tho heard Indonesian horror is great, I don't really feel like exploring them. I believe, Indonesia films are one of best in Southeast Asia, and therefore, they gain popularity all over, especially in Malaysia and Singapore, that I know of. But for my stereotype, I haven't really explored my country's films as how I explore Hollywood movies, anyway, I admit that some Indonesian movies can be really awesome, like Eiffel I'm in love, Nagabonar2, Ada apa dengan cinta, Laskar Pelangi, and on this post, I will give more attention to Jamila dan Sang Presiden.
A woman named Jamila (Atiqah Hasiholan) suddenly becomes a headline in national media. She admits killing a minister and faces capital punishment and refuses to be assisted by a lawyer and not even asked for any forgiveness from president, or what we call here in Indonesia as agresi.
Jamila was jailed and the jail was led by a jailer named Ria (Christine Hakim). In this particular jail, the story unfolds. It starts showing us Jamila's past, on how she has been traded by her Dad even when she was a baby, making her a victim of human trafficking. Well, the topic is in time as Indonesia is the 3rd most prone country to human trafficking issues. Indonesia girls have been traded to foreign countries being prostitutes.
The conflict in the jail is interesting. The act of Atiqah on how her past affected her, and how she became prostitute, the need of her to seek justice and life and education, yet she becomes hopeless, and also her involvement with the minister, all wrapped up pretty well. The jailer showed pity and yet such intense attitude that makes the movie more interesting. The injustice, ignorance by the government were portrayed well. One interesting point from the movie is the theatrical way of expressing it. The choice of words, such a beautiful literary word they are using make it more appealing.
Well, I don't have much to say about this movie, but that this is one of good Indonesian movies
60% for this movie.




No comments:
Post a Comment