Sunday, May 2, 2010
Splash (1984)
It's probably one of the old movies I find very entertaining, fun, romantic, and sooo cute!! I always have a thing with cute movies, fairytale suchlike, and this is one of the ones I will say worth watching. Though it was old movie, not too much to be compared with modern movies, of course, the traits of this movie I am sure became one of the top back then. No wonder the film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and considered one of the best films in 1984. I was not even born then. :P
This movie is about a man who falls with the woman who saves him. Allen Bauer (Tom Hanks) was the type of a man who believed in love, marriage and kids.
He's a fellow who's having no luck at all with women, his latest girlfriend having just left him. He swears he will never be able to fall in love. Which works until he spills out of a boat one afternoon off Cape Cod, can't swim, hits his head, and is rescued by a gorgeous mermaid. Only he doesn't know she's a mermaid, because when she's out of the water, her fins turn into shapely legs. They both fall instantly in love. He met the mermaid when he was small, but just when he grew up he never really thought how it actually affected him and all his relationships with women, cos of the connection he made with that mermaid.
"All my life I've been waiting for someone, and when I find her, she's a fish!"
"Nobody said love's perfect."
Such is the exchange between Allen Bauer and his older brother Freddie (John Candy) when Allen finds out his true love is a mermaid. He doesn't know that she's a mermaid.
Good movie. Great chemistry between Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah. Ron Howard's direction is also good here. This movie is not only romantic, but there are some funny parts as well. Though I should say, the plot is kinda very predictable/ routine in the first half of the movie, but It's still good anyhow.
70% fresh for this movie! Recommended! ^_^
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment