Thursday, September 30, 2010

Candy Candy (Manga)


Manga: Candy Candy
Genre: Drama,  Romance, Shoujo,  Tragedy
Author: Mizuki Kyoko
Artist: Igarashi Yumiko
Year: 1975 - 1979

I re-read this manga again, I became very nostalgic when I found the anime and bought it from the dvd vendor. I went to rent the manga directly. Needless to say, Candy Candy still has the power to make me cry that much. Shoujo are stories in Japan aimed at young girls (of all ages).

I believe one of the reasons the story has touched many is due to adventures that come to Candy Candy and how she manages to pull through, true to herself.  Her message is one of preserverance, belief in oneself, love and friendship.  The plot can be a bit corny at times, but overall the story does pass the test of time.

I read this manga when I was a kid, possibly when I was around 8 years old. And I still admire the character of Candy that much. It also reminds us how we can smile and be tough despite the hardship, problems, even grievances that we undergo in life.

However, the open ending of Candy Candy leaves me curious and unsatisfied in a way, although thru out the books, it's very enjoyable heart wrenching read. There's no tragic ending nor romantic ending, leaving the readers to decide. I really wish there would be more, at least there should be sequel. :(

You can download the manga here.

Download Candy Candy 


♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment